Interview with MTV's "I Used to Be Fat" Personal Trainer: Justin Bradshaw

Photobucket

MTV launched, in my opinion, one of it's most uplifting and inspiring new shows this year. It's called "I Used To Be Fat". It follows the journey of teenagers about to go to college, who are obese and trying to lose weight. They have one summer to change their life. Typically, the time span was 90-110 days to lose an astonishing 70 to 100+ pounds. When I first saw this, I was in shock! That is a TON of weight to lose in such a short amount of time. Can you imagine the dedication, motivation, and discipline it would take to do this? Talk about HOURS of working out and meal planning and prepping. But guess what?

It happened.

Meet one of the trainers who dedicated himself to help one girl lose over 100 pounds. His name is Justin Bradshaw.

Photobucket

A lot my readers were excited about the "Cute Texas Trainer" being on my site! And I swear, get to know him, and you will never hear someone say "HOOYAH!" and not think of him! :) He not only is a Personal Trainer, but a former Deep Sea Diver for the Army and owns his own Bootcamp!

Photobucket

See below on how he got into fitness, what it was like working with a teen for MTV, his favorite work out routine, and more about his Bootcamp! HOOYAH!


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Liz: How did you get into Fitness?
Justin: I got into fitness when I came up with the idea for my boot camp program. I had been a deep sea diver in the Army for 4 years so fitness had always been a part of my life but I had never thought about making it a career.

Liz: What keeps you motivated and dedicated?
Justin: I am motivated to always keep my mind and body in pristine shape. There is no reason NOT to be healthy and feel good every day. People can make excuses all they want for why they are overweight, out of shape, etc but what it comes down to is perseverance and mental attitude. Do you want to reach LEGEND status or be a peasant in the streets? The choice is yours.

Liz: What was the best part of working with a teen on MTV's "I Used To Be Fat?"
Justin: I loved working with Marci on this show. It was a huge challenge for not only her but myself as well. I had never worked with an overweight teen one on one and focused all of my energy towards transforming someone. I knew it would be difficult but it was worth every second. My favorite part was slowly watching someone transform themselves in 90 days. If you could see all of the hard work that went into this whole process you would be amazed.

Liz: What do you like to do to keep your clients motivated when they feel like giving up?
Justin: When they feel like quitting or giving up I just bust out the bullhorn... Okay well there is some truth to that haha.... I think most people have a comfort zone. That is a level they are comfortable working out at. Any time that level gets pushed they rebel. I guess that is only natural... but what separates the successful ones from those that just maintain is getting past that point. We can call it the breaking point. Marci witnessed it, Jordan on the show did as well. It is the point of no return... you pass it and you are forever changed as a person.

Liz: What is your favorite work out to do?
Justin: I love doing compound exercises... those target multiple muscle groups and will get you the fastest results.

Liz: What is your favorite type of "Bootcamp" work out to put your clients through at your business?
Justin: My favorite aquatic boot camp work out is definitely anything having to do with the 10lb dive bricks I use in class. I have a drill called "Circle of Death" where participants tread water in the deep end with the brick. At the same time one member of each group has to do a 50 yard freestyle pool sprint while their buddies keep passing the brick. When one gets back another goes. The brick is moving the whole time with those that are not doing the pool sprint. It is difficult. :)

Liz: Where do you see you and your business in 5 years?
Justin: I would love the opportunity to help more people on this show and I also would like to get my boot camp going around the country. No one runs a program like this and I think there is a need for it. This is nothing like water aerobics so it gives those people that are aquatically inclined a chance to work out hard versus a course of oldies splish-splashin around to some Richard Simmons music. :)

Check out Justin's client Marci and her AMAZING transformation:
Photobucket

For more about the awesome Justin Bradshaw:
Photobucket

Website: http://www.aquaticbootcamp.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AquaticBootCamp
Twitter: http://twitter.com/AquaticBootCamp

To see his journey with Marci on MTV: http://www.mtv.com/videos/i-used-to-be-fat-ep-2-marci/1655200/playlist.jhtml#series=2211&seriesId=34633&channelId=1

0 comments:

Post a Comment